Summary Record of Forum Meeting of 28 October 2021
Hythe Dementia Forum News
Our most recent Forum meeting was held on 28th October - read the Summary record here.
Summary Record of the meeting held on Thursday 28th October 2021, 10.00am, Committee Room, HTC Offices, Oaklands
Dudley Shipton, Shirley Moberly, John Sinclaire-Thomas, Kim Groves, Paul Murray, Carol Reynolds, Pam Barnes, Alex Fitzgerald, Sally Gillett, Annelies Brice, Malcolm Brice, Bob White, Glynis White, Annie Anderson, Cleo Smith, Sandrany Williams, Chris Porter, Jean Hills
- Dudley, Forum Co-Ordinator welcomed everyone to the meeting.
- There will be a knitted poppy display in the Town Hall following the Remembrance service. Anyone able to contribute with knitted poppies to contact the Town Clerk.
- Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received and accepted from Susan Foster, Ann Mayne, Bob Nott, Helen Peverett, Clare Thomas, Susan Crowhurst, Steven Holman, Keith Miles, Ruth Hickey.
- Summary Record 23 September 2021 - Dudley
Dudley ran through the summary record from the previous meeting, which was agreed by all.
- Report on recent Forum activities - Dudley
- Trip on RHDR was enjoyed by all. A souvenir photo was given to those that attended. Experienced a delay over the provision of refreshments and a longer stay at Dungeness would have been appreciated.
- Community coffee mornings have been well supported over recent weeks. Grateful thanks to Myra, Sally, Annie, Judith, Theresa and Christine Blackman for their refreshments and beautiful flower displays by Christine Smith and others that have helped.
- Let’s Talk Dementia. Grateful thanks to Chris Porter for providing an activity of lavender bag making. Thoroughly enjoyed by all. Chris has outlined future sessions and the library are most grateful. Numbers are still limited to 12 and must be prebooked.
The current bank balance stands at £13404.38. Annual fee paid to HBTA, £50 to Hythe Photographic Society for books. Some sold and 5 still available.
- Friends of Hythe Dementia
- 12/3/22 Musical Bingo and tea 2.30 pm at the Albion Club as booked.
- 22/4/22 Spring Afternoon Tea Dance at the Albion Club as booked.
- Community Hub – Cleo Smith
- The Community bus has now arrived. Currently looking for volunteer drivers. £50 one-off hire charge for 16 seater vehicle to include full tank of fuel. Can provide own driver and would need notice to hire. Daily run Hythe to Lyminge 10.30am until after lunch, looking for a driver specifically for this purpose. Kim has raised £1,000 for clients. Laying wreath at Remembrance service. 14/12/21 Christmas Party closing date is 19/11/21 filling fast. 3 course meal, coach from Hythe provided to Ashford International.
- New activities being added all the time. Lyminge Cream teas and Carers coffee morning Mondays 10.30am-12.00noon. Hythe Out and About group various activities. 1st Friday of the month entertainment. Photo/art group starting. Theatre events limited tickets available.
- Discussed possibility of a weekly musical event January onwards.
- Refurbishment still ongoing. Once completed possibility of rooms becoming available for our use. Could take Let’s Talk Dementia overflow. Book room out for the day in advance.
- Future Events already organised
- Christmas Concert 27/11/21 6.30-7.00pm St. Leonard’s Church. Let Susan know if you wish to attend.
- Dick Whittington, Tower Theatre 20/12/21 Tower Theatre. Let Susan know if you wish to attend.
- Poppy appeal launch. 30/10/21 11.30am The Undercroft, Hythe.
- Christmas Celebration 1/12/21 2.30pm Hythe Sports and Social Club details to follow
- Carols for all. 18/12/21 Parish Church. 7.00 for 7.30pm.
- Salvation Army Concert & choir 28/11/21 6.00- 8.00pm ticketed event.
- Charity Evening with Jason Lee Hewlett, excellent swing singer and show songs. Saturday 30/4/21 7.30pm. Hythe Bay Primary School. Bring your own American supper. £15 per person.
- Any Other Business/Information sharing
- Paul Murray from the Oasis Academy on the Isle of Sheppey updated us on the progress of the children and their Dementia support journey. They were awarded Student National Dementia Champions 2018. They reached the national final of Goldsmiths Award presenting on Zoom. Despite lack of preparation largely due to COVID restrictions and competing against top schools such as Eton, they were recognised for their enthusiasm, passion and total commitment to providing support for those with Dementia in their community. The Sheppey Support Bus project has been set up as a direct result of the work the School has and continues to provide in the community. A much needed service for those in rural areas, this accessible double decker bus has been transformed into a fully stocked food provision and meeting place on wheels.
- Thanks and congratulations go to Paul and all his students, this news was truly inspiring and we are very glad for Paul’s attendance at the Forum.
- The Forum expect to be submitting a Christmas Tree for the Festival at Saltwood Parish Church.
- Living Words. Looking to setting up poetry group in Jan/Feb. Liaise Cleo on this project. Cleo also has a book club starting and this could dovetail nicely.
- Constitution to be presented at next meeting.
- Dudley to book next year’s dates with Town Clerk for use of Oakland’s for Forum meetings.
- Dementia Aware Website needs updating with a generic event listing. Bob White suggested Barbara at the Church may be able to help.
- Coffee mornings on 1st & 3rd Friday of the month. Extra dates for December 3rd,10th, 17th.
- Bob White’s son Dan ran the marathon for Living Words and raised £2,000.
- Lads Club Saltwood now have a coffee afternoon on Mondays at 2pm. All welcome.
- Salvation Army toy appeal now started. Drop off points around town or monetary donation.
- Community Hub has been awarded £6,000 Welfare fund for food, hardship, help for utilities.
- Open Door Community Project is progressing and hoping to open January 22. All community groups will be working in partnership. Possible to display posters in their window.
- Date of the Next Meeting
The date of the next Forum meeting will be Thursday 27th January 2022 at 10.00am in the Committee room at Hythe Town Council Offices, Oaklands, Stade Street, Hythe.
Thereafter, meetings will take place on the fourth Thursday of every month at 10.00am, also in the Hythe Town Council Committee Room in Oaklands.
Dudley thanked everyone for their attendance and contribution, with special thanks to Shirley for writing the minutes.
The meeting closed at 11.20am.